Physical activity has always been important to societies. There seems to be no reason to avoid playing sports.
Exercise is not a contemporary problem. Since ancient times, physical activity programs have been carried out in ancient Greece. Playing sports was considered a priority for health, not to mention that the cult of the aesthetic image was a way of expressing power.
Why should you exercise?
Sport improves cardiovascular performance, as it activates hemodynamic, hormonal, neurological and metabolic changes. Thus, it improves the function of the respiratory system.
Physical activity provides balance to health. Keeping moving prevents osteoporosis, back pain and the damage caused by poor posture. However, sport may not be a healthy activity, which It depends on the form and conditions in which it is practiced..
When should you avoid playing sports?
It’s clear that Exercising excessively or incorrectly can have counterproductive effects. For example, people with high blood pressure should avoid exercising excessively, as this can make their condition worse. But there are also some circumstances where avoiding sports is the best option.
Here are three situations in which you should avoid playing sports:
1. After not getting enough sleep
After spending a sleepless night, we may believe that physical activity is the best way to recharge our energy. Mistake! Doing an exercise routine after not getting good rest increases stress. a part from that in this circumstance, the immune system is not prepared for the effortas a result the defenses deteriorate.
Not to mention, we strain our muscles due to lack of energy, which increases the risk of injury. And we tense our muscles because we cannot perform the movements in the same way as if we had rested well the night before.
However, if you didn’t sleep well the night before and don’t want to waste your day in terms of workout routines, It is recommended to walk, jog or do half of what is usually required.
2. After ingesting alcohol
Technically, alcohol consumption doesn’t prevent sport, unless it’s a physical activity that requires precision. This is due to alcohol intake affects performance and strength, but especially coordination. Ethanol puts the person consuming alcohol into a euphoric and then a depressive state, which dulls reflexes in each situation.
On the other hand, it’s important to remember this alcohol has diuretic effects, which can cause dehydration during exercise. This is due to the loss of fluids, vitamins and minerals. In addition, ethanol prevents the smooth absorption of nutrients, which promotes weight gain.
3. After suffering an injury
It is very common for athletes to experience injuries while playing sports. Some of the causes are:
- Not performing the movements correctly.
- Exercise more than usual.
- Wearing an inappropriate athletic shoe.
- Lack of protection.
types of injuries
Among the most frequent injuries in athletes are:
- Acute trauma: Such as fractures, sprains or cuts, among others. They can originate as a result of a blow or excessive force.
- Overload injuries: For example, overuse fractures or tendon inflammation. They develop after performing a repetitive routine.
Some of the most common symptoms in case of an injury are:
- Severe or tactile pain.
- Stiffness and inflammation.
If you have any of these symptoms, you should avoid playing sports. You must completely stop exercising. But it is also essential that you go to a doctor.
You should also inform your trainer about your injury and treatment, and then gradually start with therapeutic exercises.
Recommendations during exercise
- Put yourself in the hands of a certified specialist in sport to perform any physical activity.
- Pay attention to technique and don’t focus on strengthas it is useless to lift a heavy weight if done incorrectly.
- Be consistent and avoid overloadingas doing an exaggerated amount of exercise in a short period will not bring back the results you get in months.
- perform the warm-up. It is essential to stretch before starting physical activity, to prevent injuries and increase physical performance.
- Start with an aerobic routineif what you are looking for is lose weight. However, it’s also important to lift weights, as it strengthens your muscles.
- Maintain a balanced diet and rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Drinking water, because it is the only way to recover from physical exertion. It is essential to drink water before, during and after exercise.
The post 3 situations in which sport should be avoided appeared first in research-school.