Energy bars are a healthy option for those who need to recharge their body with energy. However, Most of these commercially available bars contain colors, preservatives, and other additives.
How about preparing them yourself at home? Thus, you will make sure that everyone The ingredients are quality and, moreover, according to your taste.
How to prepare homemade energy bars
In general, energy bars are made from cereals, which They provide extra energy thanks to their high content of complex carbohydrates. Likewise, they have a compact size that is ideal for carrying and consuming when needed, such as before or after exercise.
Although the main ingredient of the bars is cereals, so are they they usually include other ingredients rich in complex carbohydrates such as nuts and fruits. Likewise, they are also prepared with a more liquid ingredient that will help combine the rest: honey, yoghurt, butter, etc.
On the other hand, you can prepare homemade energy bars in different ways, depending on the time you have and your tastes, of course. Indeed, some will have to be cooked while others can be prepared without turning on the oven.
In this article, we introduce you to three ways you can prepare energy bars. For this, we also give you a recipe.
baked energy bars
- ½ cup of almonds
- ½ cup of walnuts
- Half a cup of raisins
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 2 cups of wheat flakes
- 1 cup of rye flakes
- ½ cup mixed chia and sesame seeds
- 200 grams of honey
- First, chop the walnuts. It’s important not to crush them because later, when we take the tablet out of the oven, it will melt in our hands. Therefore, it is better to leave them in small pieces.
- Next, we crush the seeds.
- Then, in the same bowl, we mix the grains, nuts and seeds and mix them well.
- Now we will mix these ingredients by adding the honey little by little. For that, we will go stirring as we add it until we have everything well bonded like a paste.
- Next, on baking paper in a mold or baking sheet, we roll out the dough or dough and give it a rectangular shape, smoothing the surface.
- Next, we put the mold in the oven and We bake at 150-170 ºC for about 20 or 25 minutes. It’s important to check how the cooking is going: the dough shouldn’t become too hard.
- After that, we take it out of the oven and wait for it to cool down. Now we can cut into bars of the desired size.
energy bars without oven
- 25 dried figs
- 100 g of cereal (muesli mix, oatmeal, etc.)
- 25 g of dried fruit (walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts according to your taste)
- 2 spoons of honey
- First we have to mash the figs until they are completely mashed, without lumps, like a thick paste.
- Next, we will mix the figs and honey in a bowl until they combine well.
- We’ll also be crushing just over half of the grain later.
- Next, we have to add that half of the chopped grains to the mixture of figs and honey and mix very well.
- After that, we can already roll out the dough on a square or rectangular container. Because of this, we must shape it until we obtain an elongated and smooth rectangular mass.
- Then, we can cut it into smaller pieces, which will be the bars.
- Finally, we separate the bars and We decorate them by pouring the rest of the cereals on top.
- We put them in the fridge separately and wait for them to cool down (about two hours) to be able to consume them. So easy!
And this time… in the microwave
- 40 grams of butter
- 20 grams of cane sugar
- 120 grams of oats
- 40 grams of almonds
- 100 grams of dark chocolate (to melt)
- First we chop the almonds.
- Then mix the powdered ingredients well in a bowl: sugar, oats and almonds.
- Next, we melt the butter in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Next, add the butter to the powdered ingredients and mix everything very well.
- Then, we put this resulting dough into a microwave-safe container. We smooth the dough and give it a rectangular shape.
- We cook in the microwave for about 2.5 minutes at maximum power.
- After this time, let it cool.
- Next, We melt the chocolate and then pour it on the mass of the bars.
- When everything has cooled down, we can cut the bars according to the size we prefer.
As you can see, There are three groups of ingredients that you should include: grains, nuts/fruits and an ingredient to bind them (honey, butter, yoghurt). From there, let your imagination run wild.
In fact, you can prepare the bars with the ingredients you like best. For example, oatmeal and banana, cereal and apple, with strawberries, etc.
The post 3 Ways to Make Homemade Energy Bars first appeared in research-school.