Thrombocyte cells, also known as platelets, are small fragments of cells whose main function is to clot blood. Thrombocytopenia occurs when there is an unusually low level of these. Although it is necessary to follow the instructions and treatment of the specialist, it is possible to resort to natural remedies to increase platelets.
There are several reasons you may have a low platelet count. Anemia, viral infections, autoimmune diseases, taking certain drugs and interacting with toxic substances explain many of the episodes. Very low counts increase the risk of internal bleeding.
5 natural remedies to increase platelets
Platelets are produced in the bone marrow. Its main function is stop the bleeding by facilitating the clotting process, as well as plugging damaged blood vessels. It is a very important component in the bloodstream and has a half-life of between 7 and 12 days.
Adequate levels of platelets in the body vary between 150,000 and 450,000 units per microliter. In this sense, a person suffers from thrombocytopenia when they have fewer than those mentioned.
In addition to the treatment prescribed by the doctor, Diet plays a huge role in the recovery process. Therefore, it is essential to pay attention to it and try to wear it in a varied and balanced way. In these cases, the ideal is to consume fruits, vegetables and nuts rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and minerals.
Naturally, each episode is approached differently. The most important thing is to establish the cause and, based on it, choose the right treatment for each patient.. We encourage you to consult your doctor before implementing the following remedies to increase platelets.
1. Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables
Broccoli, kale, chard, spinach and others contain vitamin K, a nutrient essential for the coagulation process. They are also high in folate, another vitamin that affects platelet function. The experts suggest moderate intake of both for a balance in platelet health.
Also, all of these are rich in chlorophyll; the green pigment of plants. There are some pointers which may be useful in these contexts, but further studies are needed in this regard. Either way, you can’t stop including green and cruciferous vegetables as part of your balanced diet.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- 3 teaspoons of sesame (15 g).
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt (12.5 g).
- Lemon juice (1 teaspoon).
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (20 g).
- 4 cups of raw broccoli heads.
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (200 g).
- A few pieces of almond or walnut.
- 1 cup of steamed carrots, more raw than cooked (115 g).
- First, wash the broccoli and cut it into small pieces.
- Then, distribute the chopped vegetables in a deep dish and add the carrot, allowing both ingredients to blend.
- Then combine the yogurt with the sugar and lemon.
- Next, take the dressing and add it to the salad.
- Garnish with some sesame seeds.
- Finally, season with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and add almonds or chopped walnuts.
2. Dark chocolate
A job Posted in Medicinal in 2018 found that the intake of 50 grams of chocolate with 90% cocoa can positively modulate platelet function. The effect is slight and cannot be achieved with other types of presentations (such as milk or white chocolate).. Try combining it with other natural remedies to raise platelets so as not to consume it in excess.
3. Lentils with greens
Education they proved it lentils are rich in polyphenols, selenium, iron and zinc, making them a good source of nutrients. In principle, they are popular for their concentrations of iron, a mineral present in low proportions it was related with thrombocytopenia. For this they are part of our advice on natural remedies to increase platelets.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 carrot (15g).
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 3 cups of water (750ml).
- ½ red and ½ green pepper.
- 2 cups of lentils (200 g).
- 1 small onion (20-30 g).
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (10 ml).
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika (4 g).
- First you need to rinse the lentils and put them in a pot with water, bay leaves, sweet paprika and a pinch of salt.
- After, simmer the ingredients.
- While this is happening, chop the onion and garlic, chop and fry in a pan with olive oil until lightly browned.
- Finally remove them from the oil and add the mixture to the lentils.
- Next, cut the peppers into small pieces and fry them in the same oil you used for the other toppings.
- Sauté for a few minutes with a little salt.
- Add the well peeled and chopped carrot and wait a few more minutes. Finally, when the vegetables are to your liking, reserve them.
- In about 45 minutes the lentils should be tender, remove them from the heat and let them rest before serving.
4. Papaya Leaf Extract
Papaya leaf extract is another natural remedy to increase platelet count. A job with rodents Posted in Asia Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine in 2013 he suggested it the fresh extract of the leaves of this plant raises the count of platelets and red blood cells. Education Recent studies in humans have supported this property, but more research is needed.
In the current market you can find supplements for a quick and safe intake of the extract of these leaves. Anyway, you should consult your doctor before including it in your daily diet. They can interact with medications and underlying diseases in some cases, so you should be cautious.
5. Bovine colostrum
Colostrum is the first milk that mammals produce to feed their young. A job Posted in Scientific reports in 2017 suggested that bovine colostrum contains proteins and other compounds that mediate platelet activation and immune responses. As in the previous case, today it is possible to obtain it in the form of supplements that can be purchased at pharmacies and herbal shops.
Are there other natural remedies to increase platelets?
Yes, there are other preparations that can be considered natural remedies that can help you raise platelets and recover. But keep that in mind The most important thing is that you follow the treatment prescribed by your doctor. and at the same time maintain variety and balance in the diet. In general, the following foods can help you:
- Fish such as trout, salmon and tuna (because they are important sources of vitamin B12).
- Fortified breakfast cereals.
- Rice and yeast.
- Soybeans, soybean oil and fish liver oil.
On the other hand, the ideal is to avoid alcohol consumption. Scientific studies I found it decrease in platelets can be triggered and exacerbated after ingestion. You should also avoid tonic water (quinine water) and cranberry juice.
Although the natural remedies to increase platelets that we have collected have some scientific evidence, Remember to follow the specialist’s instructions regarding treatment.
The post 5 natural remedies to increase platelets appeared first in research-school.