Topical herbal treatments for psoriasis have caught the attention of many patients struggling with their symptoms. Although the disease requires professional treatment, some find relief using these types of natural alternatives.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition that affects skin health. It is estimated to affect 2% of the world’s population and in many cases it occurs at the same time as the condition known as psoriatic arthritis.
Oral medications and light therapy are some of the modern ways to deal with symptoms. However, More and more searches are underway to find evidence of the benefits of plants. Let’s look at some options in the next space.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic disease characterized by the rapid accumulation of skin cells. This in turn, It produces red spots or crusts that may be accompanied by pain, cracks, or bleeding, among other symptoms.
There are different forms of the disease, the most common is psoriatic arthritis, plaque psoriasis, and psoriasis guttata There are also pustular, inverse and erythrodermic psoriasis, the latter one of the most serious and rare.
symptoms of psoriasis
The clinical manifestations of psoriasis can vary in each person, depending on the type and evolution of the disease. Often the areas affected are the scalp, hands, elbow and neck. In these parts you can develop:
- Red and inflamed spots
- Whitish silvery scales or crusts
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Pain around the affected areas
- itching and burning
- Thick pitted nails
- Painful and swollen joints
Topical Herbal Treatments for Psoriasis: 5 Alternatives
Topical herbal treatments for psoriasis can help reduce the inflammation and scaling that the disease causes on the skin. Indeed, many herbal extracts They are used in the preparation of pharmacological products for the same purpose. Discover them!
Without a doubt, aloe vera is one of the most popular topical herbal treatments for psoriasis. Because of their soothing, antibacterial and refreshing properties, is an effective option for minimizing irritation, pain and redness. It helps in the prevention of infections.
How to use?
- The ideal is to apply the gel locally up to three times a week.
- The treatment can be extended for 3 to 4 weeks. If symptoms persist, rest for a week and resume.
Turmeric is a spice with an anti-inflammatory action, belonging to the same family as ginger. Its active compound, curcuminhas given positive results in the treatment of psoriasis. Thanks to its antibacterial and soothing effect, it prevents infections and soothes the burning.
How to use it?
- It can be used topically through gels or homemade preparations. A good option is to mix the powder with bee honey.
- The remedy can be used for 3-4 weeks in a row.
3. Oregon grapes
The antioxidants present in Oregon grapes have been used to protect the skin condition in psoriasis.
Oregon grape (Mahonia eagle leaf) has extracts with anti-inflammatory action which make it stand out among topical herbal treatments for psoriasis. These properties, in addition to its antioxidant content, reduce skin rashes and redness.
How to use it?
- The plant can be ground into a powdered extract which is added to a topical skin cream.
- Optionally, its distilled extracts can be used.
Calendula is an anti-inflammatory herb with many benefits for skin health. It has been used in the treatment of dermatological diseases for hundreds of years, ever since Helps reduce symptoms such as inflammation, redness and flaking.
How to use it?
- Baths with infusion of the plant are effective for psoriasis. Its extracts can also be used in creams or oils.
It’s no secret that chamomile has been a part of dermatological remedies for many years. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory effect and calming action, It is an ideal treatment against the symptoms of psoriasis, eczema and other skin disorders.
How to use it?
- Its infusion can be applied externally as a lotion. You can also use the plant’s extracts and oils to make creams.
- The ideal is to apply it every day, two or three times.
Do you have psoriasis symptoms? In addition to seeing your doctor, feel free to try these natural herbal topical treatment options for psoriasis. Of course, if you observe any adverse reactions, stop using it immediately.
The post 5 Topical Herbal Treatments for Psoriasis appeared first in Mejor Con Salud.