Napkin rings perform a double function at the table. On the one hand, they allow you to organize napkins. Furthermore, they are a decorative element; an original napkin ring will be an attractive decoration on any table. The possibility of creating your own napkin rings will give the tables a personal and emotional touch.
What materials are needed to make your napkin rings? The materials will depend on the model chosen. You can use different types of materials; The idea is that making your own napkin rings is a fun activity that allows for a good result.
Some ideas for making your own napkin rings
The first step is to think about what kind of event the napkin rings will be integrated into the table setting. They must be in harmony with the situation and with the rest of the elements to be installed. Here are some ideas:
1. Napkin holder with cardboard rings e washi tape
They are designed for cloth napkins, but are also suitable for paper ones.
- Cardboard tubes. Toilet paper or kitchen paper is fine.
- Decorative paper tape. He washi tape It is very useful.
- It can be glue, silicone or any contact cement.
- Cut the cardboard tube into rings two centimeters wide.
- Glue the decorative tape.
- The napkin rings are ready. It is important that the decorative ribbon is in harmony with the color of the napkins.
2. Napkin holder in rustic fiber
- rustic thick thread
- cardboard circles
- Cut rectangles of cardboard five centimeters wide by eight long.
- Glue the ends across the width to make rings.
- Cut the yarn into eight-centimeter pieces.
- Carefully glue the wire into the frame until it’s covered.
- It can be decorated with plant elements, such as small leaves, flowers or branches.
3. Woven napkin rings
Another option for making your own rustic thread napkin rings is to prepare three-inch long braids. A ring is formed with each; then they join three or four to form a taller circle.
If the wire is stiff, it will hold up very well. If not, just integrate a piece of thread that can be recycled at home into one of the braids.
4. Wire napkin holder
- Medium thickness thread. It must be malleable.
- beads to decorate
- Tube four or five centimeters in diameter. It will be used to shape the napkin rings.
- Form a spiral by wrapping the wire around the tube. Three or four rounds will be enough.
- Fold an inch of the ends away from the frame. It’s about taut that inch of yarn on each side; the idea is that it protrudes a little from the spiral. Attach a bead or other decorative element to the tip.
5. Napkin holder in leather or jute
- Strips of leather or jute fabric 5 cm wide and 8 cm long.
- Form rings with the strips. Glue at the junction of the edges of the width. It can be decorated with a sprig of rosemary or pine, or with a few wild flower.
- An interesting detail is to add a rustic label with the diner’s name if there are assigned seats. Measurements may vary; it is possible to cut the strips more or less wide or long.
6- Napkin holder in clay
Clay is a very versatile and easy to use material.. Therefore, to make your own napkin rings from this product, you don’t need any special knowledge.
- Kiln dried polymer clay
- acrylic paint and brush
- The clay is stretched until it is five millimeters thick.. You can use a rolling pin or a smooth bottle.
- It is necessary to cut strips four centimeters wide by eight long.
- Napkin rings are formed by bringing the sides together to form a ring. They are left to dry for a few hours.
- They are decorated with acrylic paint; it is convenient to choose a drawing and try to reproduce it. Another practical idea for finishing is to paint them spray the color you prefer.
Different materials and ideas
Flexible branches, nuts, mechanical metal rings, any element can be transformed into a napkin ring. It is about putting ingenuity and creativity into motion.
Although they can be purchased in the market, what we create by hand at home always has a more personalized touch. These ideas for making your own napkin rings are easy to implement.
The post 6 ideas for making your own napkin rings first appeared in research-school.