Old age is a stage that combines joys and challenges. Therefore, complete wear and tear tends to be the main cause of ailments, which reduces the quality of life. However, good conditioning habits that lead to active aging optimize well-being. A good option to get started are the following exercises for people over 70.
Obviously, the practices for the elderly are oriented to the work of various muscle groups, but using low intensity as the main conditioning factor. Likewise, an assistance factor is added for those who have limited mobility or need alternatives.
We invite you to discover below the main variations of exercises for people over 70, both dependent and independent. In addition to the general benefits and some treatments not to be overlooked.
Benefits of exercises in the elderly
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends 150 minutes of exercise per week in older adults improve physical, mental and social health; three elements that change the perception of ageing.
In this sense, the reasons why so much importance is given to physical activity lie in the following benefits:
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reduction of bone density loss.
- Increased mobility through muscle strengthening and pain relief.
- Decreased likelihood of suffering from depressive disorders and anxiety attacks.
- Better immune system response.
- Social integration.
- Greater flexibility.
- Prevention of type II diabetes.
- Better coordination.
Home exercises for people over 70 with autonomy
Exercises for people over 70 with autonomy They offer two modes: individual and circuits. The choice of one or another model is made depending on the conditions of each.
The movements proposed below, however, must be performed with repetitions ranging from 8 to 15 times. In regards to sets, a gradual increase is recommended as you evaluate each routine.
Without further ado, the exercises available are as follows:
- Lifting a chair: Any chair in the house that allows you to put your feet on the floor is valid. The exercise consists of standing up and sitting down without using your hands as a resource.
- Low current bridge: Lie on your back on the floor and lift your hips slightly with both feet for support.
- Obstacle on foot: It can be done inside the house and is a variant of the straight path. It only requires defining a fixed path and placing objects as obstacles in the path.
- Push-ups on the wall: Placing both hands on a wall and keeping the marked distance from the shoulders, bend the elbows and return to the starting position.
- Front raises: take an object in each hand and slowly lift it forward (no higher than shoulder height).
- Balance practice: stand on one foot (20 to 30 seconds), bend the knee in elevation, and use the wall for support.
At the same time, for the circuits, 2 or 3 laps are performed with 6 consecutive exercises, applying between 5 and 10 repetitions of each. The rest that is saved between activities is 1 minute. Once you’ve mastered a circuit, it’s a good idea to change the order and vary the reps.
Home exercises for people over 70 with limited autonomy
In the case of older adults who have mobility difficulties, causing limitations in their autonomy, we have compiled the following useful options to enjoy the benefits of exercise:
- one hug: the movement is based on opening the arms with lateral extensions and closing them as if it were a hug to oneself.
- Leg circles: while sitting, lift one foot and make clockwise circles. Vary the leg and the sense.
- Wring out a towel: apply force to a towel and wring it out, opposite the direction of each hand. This is the classic wiping motion.
- The biceps work: select any object weighing up to 1 kilogram, flex the elbow slightly and return to the basic position.
- Leg extension: sitting in a chair or against a wall, lift one foot, extend the leg and flex again.
- lateral inclination: In a chair, lean to the sides with the intention of touching the foot closest to you, but avoiding any action that causes discomfort.
Essential care during routines
To put the exercises described into practice, the measures necessary to avoid injuries or major complications must not be neglected. In principle, needed to start each physical activity pleasantmeasuring the body’s response and gaining confidence.
In addition to this, harmonious inhalations and exhalations are important, excluding the fact of holding the breath in moments of effort, as it could have harmful effects on blood pressure.
To close the care section, but not least, it is necessary drink enough water before starting the routinebecause dehydration is more difficult to perceive in the elderly.
Exercises for the over 70s must have medical approval
Consulting your doctor before doing any recommended exercise is ideal, so as not to interfere with any treatment, particular condition or pre-existing disease. Also, if you feel discomfort with any movement, it is best to reduce the intensity or stop. Other options that may be suitable for seniors are tai chi, pilates and yoga.
Finally, it is recommended to finish with a round of stretches for the arms and legs. In short, with all the exercises and treatments for people over 70, active aging will be a given.
The post Exercises at Home for the Over 70s was the first to appear in Better With Health.