Even if when we feel sick we don’t feel like eating or feel the taste of food, the truth is this A good diet is essential to recover faster. For this reason, in the following article we will tell you how to eat when we have a cold.
Colds: More common than we think
The cold is a very common viral infection in winter that affects the respiratory tract (mainly nose and throat, although in some cases it can continue up to the trachea and bronchi).
We can get this disease several times a year especially if our immune system is somewhat weak.
- ANDThe cycle in which colds develop lasts about a week. From the fifth day the symptoms regress.
- Nasal congestion and excessive mucus are the main signs and in second place sneezing, coughing, sore throat and general malaise.
- In some cases we can present fever.
The cold is an easily transmissible disease and, although it is essential to prevent contagion, many times we can do nothing to prevent the virus from entering our bodies. However if we strengthen our defenses we will make things more difficult for those microorganisms They are trying to develop.
The role of food when we have a cold
Diet is essential to avoid contagion, especially in the cold months. One of the nutrients that cannot be missing is vitamin C. The foods that contain it the most are:
- Citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, lemons)
- Fruit (strawberry, kiwi, mango)
- Vegetables (cabbage, peppers)
Deficiencies in vitamin C, as well as selenium, zinc and omega 6 fatty acids, make us more vulnerable to colds. Therefore, we must add them to our diet to prevent contagion or the disease to be milder.
We recommend it When the colder days start, eat the following foods to avoid colds:
- Royal jelly
- Brewer’s yeast
- wheat germ
A complete breakfast to prevent colds can consist, for example, of:
- 1 cup of natural yogurt (200 g)
- 2 walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of wheat germ (10 g)
- 1 tablespoon of brewer’s yeast (10 g)
- 1/2 tablespoon of pollen (5 g)
- Chop the nuts as finely as possible.
- Place in a container and add the wheat germ, pollen and yeast.
- Add the yogurt (if it’s liquid, better) and mix well.
- Consume on an empty stomach or mid-morning.
Now, when we have already caught a cold, we need a treatment that improves the symptoms and to help us lead as normal a life as possible until the end of the virus cycle. THE antibiotics they are usually not effective, unless there are complications caused by bacteria.
A varied diet rich in nutritious foods can reduce general discomfort. It is very important to alleviate the loss of appetite so common in those days by consuming light, easy to digest and comforting foods (such as a broth or an infusion).
What to eat when we have a cold
Even if you don’t feel like eating when you have a cold, It is essential to maintain a balanced diet and increase your intake of certain foods and drinks.
A bland diet of nutritious comfort foods combats the discomfort and reduces lack of appetite while stimulating the body’s immune function.
Liquids have a very important function during the days when it is cold, because they maintain the hydration the body needs, prevent the mucous membranes from drying out and favor the production of secretions.
Among the recommended liquids when we have a cold we remember:
- Natural juices (mainly orange)
- Herbal teas (for example, with ginger, honey and lemon)
- Vegetable soup (or just the broth)
On the contrary alcoholic beverages, soft drinks and coffee are not recommended because they cause dehydration. Instead, it is good to prepare the food in a simple way so that it is easily digestible and does not scratch the throat or require too much chewing (which is very annoying if we have a stuffy nose).
- Boiling and grilling or baking are the recommended techniques.
- Do not eat very hard foods, such as toast, or dishes that contain too much fat.
To strengthen the immune system while we have a cold we need to ingest certain nutrients. The foods that provide the most zinc and selenium (two ideal components for defenses) are:
- Whole grains
- meat, liver
- shellfish, fish
- Legumes, nuts
Sample menu for when we have a cold
If you have a cold you can prepare the following daily menu:
- Breakfast: a cup of orange juice, a cup of milk with a spoonful of honey and milk bread.
- Mid-morning: a cup of herbal tea.
- Lunch: Vegetable puree, grilled chicken breast and apple compote.
- Snack: a cup of yogurt, milk bread.
- Dinner: vegetable broth, French omelette with tomato and kiwi.
Finally, I hope these tips help you when you have a cold. Howeverremember the need to go to the nearest health center or hospital at the first symptom. These suggestions are a support to the medicine prescribed by the doctor. At no time are they substitutes.
The post How to eat when we have a cold first appeared in research-school.