If you have kidney stones, you may need to follow a special diet. Therefore, in this article We will give you some tips so that you can follow a diet for kidney stones, plus sample menus.
However, First of all, you should go to the doctor to determine what kind of stones your body produces. Then, from this, the doctor will be able to indicate which dietary changes are the most appropriate.
What is a kidney stone?
Those who have suffered from kidney stones say it is more painful than childbirth. “It is true. It’s a very sharp pain.” says dr. Miguel Arrabal, president of the Andalusian Association of Urology and head of the lithiasis and minimally invasive surgery unit of the University Hospital of Granada.
In 75% of cases the kidney stones are expelled spontaneouslywhile in the remaining 25% the size of the stone prevents its natural expulsion and an instrumental treatment is necessary.
A kidney stone is a hard mass that forms from crystals in the urine. In most people, the natural chemicals in the urine prevent stones from forming.
Remember that not all types of kidney stones are created equal. The most common type of kidney stone is made up of calcium and oxalate. And individual treatment for kidney stones depends on the type of stone.
Kidney stones are hard masses that form from the accumulation of waste products in the urine. The most common are given by the excess of calcium and oxalate.
Kidney stone diet
It must be taken into account Depending on the type of stone, the diet for kidney stones can vary. Often, this condition is due to the accumulation of:
- calcium oxalate
- Calcium Phosphate
- Uric acid
1. Foods rich in calcium oxalate
Avoiding excess oxalate in the diet mainly helps prevent cases of calcium oxalate stones. Calcium is not the main cause of these stones, but foods rich in oxalateAS:
- Tea (such as black, opaque, or green tea)
These foods should be eaten in small quantities, and a great strategy is to use a method called double cooking consists of cooking vegetables rich in oxalates twice, changing the water for the first cooking to thus reduce the amount of oxalate that the food contains.
2. Excess protein
The exaggerated ingestion of proteins such as meats or any product of animal origin, promote the production of uric acid and, in turn, the formation of stones.
3. Salt intake should be regulated
Sodium is one of the main components of salt and This facilitates the accumulation of salts in the bodyso it should be avoided.
Avoid not only common salt, but also industrialized foods rich in salt such as ice cubes, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sauces in general, frozen dishes and fast food. Therefore, it is recommended do not consume more than 2.5 grams of salt per day.
4. Excess foods rich in vitamin C
Excess foods rich in vitamin C and taking supplements should be avoided. Mainly when the stones are calcium oxalate, because This vitamin can promote their formation.
5. Alcoholic beverages
Alcoholic beverages should be avoided, like them They cause dehydration of the body, promoting the formation of kidney stones.being dehydration one of the main causes of its formation.
Examples of diet menus for kidney stones
Diet plays an important role in stone prevention. That’s why here We show you some diet ideas for kidney stones that might help you. However, remember that if you have any doubts, you should consult your doctor:
- Option 1: 1 glass of mint juice + 2 slices of wholemeal bread with white cheese.
- Option 2: 1 glass of natural yogurt + 1 tablespoon of honey + 2 scrambled eggs with tomato, onion and oregano.
- Option 1: 1/2 cup of rice + 1/2 cup of beans + 100 g of turkey breast + 1 cup of cooked vegetables + 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Option 2: 1 bowl of chicken soup with carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, onion.
- Option 1: 1 natural yogurt + 1 tablespoon of cranberries.
- Option 2: 2 cooked bananas sprinkled with cinnamon.
The most important thing is to increase fluid intake to increase urine volume. “You have to drink about three liters of water a day to urinate two to two and a half liters and to dissolve the salts more,” advises Dr. José Luis Soler, urologist at the Torrecardenas Hospital in Almería and president of the XXVII Congress of the Andalusian Association of Urology.
Finally, We recommend you visit a dietitian so they can give you specific advice for your condition. The professional will be able to evaluate more precisely which diet is best based on your needs.
The post Diet for kidney stones: advice and menu examples first appeared in research-school.