Melon is a very light and refreshing summer fruit. But in addition to eating it as a dessert or as a healthy snack, it can also be used to cook some dishes, such as a refreshing melon gazpacho.
Let us know in this article the recipe and the secrets of its preparation. We will also see the health benefits of this fruit.
The melon gazpacho recipe
There are few dishes as simple to prepare as gazpacho. One of the summer soups par excellence, ideal for refreshing and exploiting all the nutrients of vegetables.
It is typical of southern Spain and Portugal and in its original version it is prepared with tomato, cucumber and pepper as the main ingredients. Even if in every region and also in every house there is a unique and particular way of doing it.
In recent years the boom From this recipe so quick and easy to prepare, other variations were born with avocado, cherries, watermelon and the same melon. The latter is the protagonist of the recipe that we present to you.
Melon gazpacho is an ideal dish to make a light appetizer or for nourishing refreshment in the middle of summer. Another way to take advantage of this healthy fruit that also gives it a special flavor.
Ingredients needed for 2 servings of melon gazpacho
- 1 clove of garlic.
- 375 grams of melon pulp.
- 1 small Italian green pepper
- 1/2 slice of bread (optional).
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 spring onion.
- A pinch of salt and another of ground white pepper.
- 1 cucumber.
The quantities of each ingredient can be adapted to one’s taste. Also the point of salt and pepper or innovate with the incorporation of some other spice or fresh herb.
Step by step in the kitchen
- First, peel the garlic and remove the inner germ so that its flavor is a little milder. If you don’t like garlic much, add half and add the rest later.
- Next, peel the spring onion and cut it into quarters. Wash and cut the pepper and do the same with the peeled cucumber.
- Cut the melon into large pieces. Place all ingredients in a blender cup or bowl. This is also the time to add sliced bread if you want a slightly thicker texture. Salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil and beat again to obtain a consistency as homogeneous as possible. For this it is preferable to do it at maximum power for about 2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the combination of all ingredients. In principle, it is not necessary to add water to the preparation, since the melon is a fruit that already provides a sufficient quantity.
- Reserve at least in the fridge 2 hours to chill and serve chilled. If it’s made overnight, the flavors intensify.
When serving the melon gazpacho, it can be decorated with slices of crunchy Serrano ham, cubes of toasted bread, grated hard-boiled egg or some finely chopped vegetables (cucumber, pepper or spring onion).
Ideal to offer as an appetizer or as a soft and fresh first course. Thus, it is another original way to fill the menu with more fruits and vegetables.
The melon (cucumis melo) is a plant of the Cucurbitaceae family. It is grown in almost all regions with dry and hot summers. and there are a large number of varieties, such as the Cantaloupethe piel de sapo, the yellow melon or the galia.
Although they can vary in terms of flavor and sweetness, in general they all have a similar nutritional composition, thanks to which some health benefits can be highlighted.
the melon is composed in 90% of its weight from water, which places it as one of the fruits with the greatest quantity. Vitamin C and folate also stand outsome minerals such as potassium and magnesium, as well as carbohydrates in the form of sugars, typical of fruit.
It contributes to the hydration of the body
For the quantity of water it supplies and also for the presence of numerous electrolytes. Because of this, It is of particular interest in the summer or after strenuous exercise, when losses tend to be greater.
Regulates blood pressure
Diets with lots of fruits and vegetables are good for keeping blood pressure levels stable. As noted in a study published in British Journal of Nutritionthis could be due not only to a reduction in sodium intake, but also to an increase in the presence of other minerals, such as calcium and potassium.
The data is interesting High blood pressure is a disease that affects a large number of people. in the world. And today it is recognized as one of the main risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Antioxidant and eye protector
The orange and yellow colors of some melon varieties, such as the Cantaloupe, indicate the presence of beta-carotene. These are found in higher quantities than other fruits, such as apricots, peaches, oranges or mangoes.
Carotenes are pigments that not only give color to food but also have benefits. Once ingested they become Vitamin A, that the body needs to perform various functions:
- Antioxidant against free radicals that can damage cells.
- Correct functioning of the immune system.
- Protection and improvement of eyesight. Property strengthened by the presence of lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants recognized for their ability to prevent age-related macular degeneration.
Maintenance of bone structure
In addition to calcium and vitamin D, other nutrients are needed for optimal bone health. Bone loss is related to problems such as osteoporosis and a higher prevalence of fractures and falls.
Some studies underline the importance of B vitamins such as folate present in melon. Low levels of these and B12, along with elevated homocysteine, have been linked to low bone density and increased risk of fractures in older people.
Prepare melon gazpacho to enjoy a delicious and healthy dish
Fruit in general they are healthy foods that provide good doses of vitamins, mineral salts, fiber and antioxidants. For this reason the experts emphasize the importance of adding them as a regular dessert or snack.
Although it is interesting to find other ways to introduce them into meals. One option is melon gazpacho. It keeps well for a few days in the fridge and you can add the decoration just before serving.
So, if you have already taken note of the recipe, it’s time to expand the variety of cold soups and enjoy this delicious and nutritious dish.
The post Melon Gazpacho Recipe: Quick and Easy appeared first on research-school.