Moxibustion is one of the therapeutic techniques of traditional Chinese medicine in which mugwort leaves are used to make cigarettes called moxa. With them, heat is applied to specific acupuncture points.
The goal is to get an effect of balance in the body thanks to the stimuli produced by heat It penetrates through the acupuncture meridians. This positively affects our physiological functions and internal organs.
Moxibustion promotes homeostatic balance. It serves as a preventive method to avoid suffering from health problems or as a treatment method to strengthen the body.
The most common is to use moxibustion as a complement to other therapeutic techniques of traditional medicine, as the acupunctureherbal medicine or Chinese Tui-na massage to offer a better result in each treatment.
What is moxibustion used for? What diseases does it treat?
Moxibustion helps cure disease through heat. is responsible for help promote better blood circulation which, in turn, eliminates the symptoms of internal cold or general discomfort.
It can support the treatment of a wide variety of diseases, both acute and chronic, or digestive problems. Among these we find:
- Gynecological problems or menstrual pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Sports injuries
- tiredness or fatigue
- Lack of concentration or memory
- sexual dysfunction
- Hot flashes during menopause
- Bad circulation
Among the benefits of moxibustion, the following stand out:
- Prevents diseases.
- Promotes the circulation of energy and blood.
- Warms the meridians or energy channels.
- Eliminate the cold and warm the blood.
- Calms pain, thanks to its analgesic properties.
- Generate antibodies.
- It produces red and white blood cells and haemoglobin.
Sometimes the use of moxibustion is used as the only therapy. However, in cases of pathologies that present greater difficulty, the use of complementary therapies is used such as electroacupuncture.
Once the diagnosis has been made to the patient, the therapist decides what type of treatment should be applied. This is how the time of the session is defined and it can last from 20 minutes to half an hour.
Depending on the type of cigarette he applies in therapy, the therapist Manually performs the techniques in the meridians presenting the problems of the body.
If the problem persists, cassettes of mugwort will be used, which can coat different areas of the body, making you feel warm until they get better.
Methods of application of moxibustion
- Mugwort or moxa cigars: Burn a stick near the acupuncture point.
- mugwort cones: Placing a small cone directly on the skin.
- Ginger Mugwort Cone: It helps with a slice of ginger, for its tonic and revitalizing properties. It is located between the skin and the sagebrush cone.
- Garlic Mugwort Cone: It is usually used in infectious processes caused by external agents due to its antiseptic effect.
- Moxa with salt: It is usually applied to the navel. The navel is considered the central meridian of energythus exerting greater balance.
- In acupuncture: A moxa is lit on the acupuncture needle with the help of incense to enhance the therapeutic processes.
- moxibustion box: It is a wooden box in which the moxa is ignited so that it has greater coverage and better precision. It is especially used in the lower back or abdomen.
The selection of the therapy method or session is based on the disease or discomfort that the patient has. Today, there are specialized equipment that helps generate heat by replacing mugwort cigars.
Contributions of moxibustion to health
Over time, traditional Chinese medicine has been considered for the alternative treatment of chronic or common diseases that we are used to suffering from.
While scientific fields still do not approve of this type of medicine sophisticated or safe at the time of viewing results, ha tried be beneficial to the patients who have been treated.
Moxibustion, being a branch of acupuncture, cures the underlying disease. It is for this reason that it is gaining strength in the field of alternative medicine.
Also, moxibustion can help improve life of cancer patients since then supports the immune system and increases vital energy in the organs of the body.
Post moxibustion and its contribution to health first appeared in research-school.