If you have woolen items and you risked washing them without the due precautions, you could have suffered the consequences. Because to wash woolen garments, some precautions must be taken into account.
In this article, we give you the keys to keeping your wool garments in perfect condition. With some very simple tips you will never have problems with this type of fabric and you will always be perfect.
Wool is the perfect choice for cold days, as it is an ideal insulator to keep us at a warm, humidity-free temperature. But This natural fiber is very delicate and absorbent, so we must learn to treat and wash it properly.
If we don’t do it correctly, we risk the clothes becoming damaged, shrinking or out of shape. And how we want to maintain the quality, comfort and softness of woolwe share some essential tips to achieve it.
Tips for washing woolen garments
1. Look at the manufacturer’s label
First of all, when washing clothes, whether they are made of wool or other fabrics, pay attention to the manufacturer’s label. there we will find the information we need to take care of clothes properly. We will also find out the quality of the fabric and if it is 100% wool.
In the case of wool garments, this is essential because not all require the same care. Some may need to be dry cleaned and others, hand washing. On the other hand, with some we could use the washing machine.
2. If you choose the washing machine, please pay attention
Can woolen items be washed in the washing machine? Yes you can. However, you should pay attention to the program you choose, otherwise you could screw them up.
Some automatic washing machines already incorporate a specific program for woollens. If it’s not there, you need to select the option of “delicate dresses“or” hand wash.
However, we will always make sure it’s a file Low intensity cold water cycle. Be careful as hot water can also shrink clothes!
- We also recommend leave the garment in cold water before washing for half an hour to avoid shrinkage.
- When we put it in the washing machine, we can put the garment in a mesh bag so that it doesn’t get caught or damaged by other types of fabrics. However, this is optional.
3. Dry your clothes
With the dryer we cannot make any exceptions, as we risk ruining the clothes. The heat will make the garment shrink, even if we have followed all the steps for a correct washing.
When we hang the garment, we must hang it horizontally on the clothesline. In case of hanging it, the weight of the water in the clothes would stretch and deform the garment.
Also we can choose to wrap clothes with a towel to remove some of the moisture before drying. We will do it as if we were folding or rolling it carefully and wringing to drain excess water.
4. General advice
Whether we wash woolen items by hand or in the washing machine, there are some general tips we should follow:
- Wash your clothes when it’s essential, not too regularly. We shouldn’t wash it as often as any other garment.
- It is advisable to turn the garment inside out before washing it.
- The intensity should always be soft. If it’s by machine, we’ll select it, and if it’s by hand, we’ll avoid scrubbing hard.
- Always choose a mild detergent dissolved in waterif possible, make it specific for woolen garments.
- If we just want to remove the smell from the garment, we can air it or leave it to soak.
- If, despite all the care, the clothes seem to have shrunk after washing them, the time to gently hang them out is when they are still damp.
- We will always opt for hand washing when the garment is too delicate. For example, if it has embroidery or sequins.
Do you want to take care of your wool garments and make them always look like new? Follow these simple tips and enjoy the softness of this one natural fabric.
The post The best tips for washing wool clothes appeared first in research-school.