The Italian Church in Bucharest is a place of worship that serves as the seat of the Roman Catholic Parish of the Most Holy Redeemer in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bucharest. Architecturally, the church falls into the neo-romantic style with Renaissance tendencies.
The place of worship was built between 1915-1916 according to the plans of the architects Mario Stoppa and Giuseppe Tiraboschi.
Its construction was decided after the arrival of an Italian priest in the Capital was announced. Thus, the Italian community in Bucharest with the support of the Ambassador of the Kingdom of Italy in Bucharest, Baron Carlo Fasciotti, started the works for the construction of the church.
The style of construction is similar to that of the churches of Northern Italy and borrows mostly Romanesque characteristics, with some Gothic and Art Deco elements. The building was erected on a Greek cross plan with a central dome and three naves in the form of a basilica.
The interior has paintings, stained glass and mosaics. The exterior is brick. It has a tower with three bells and next to it is a parish house with a courtyard. It is one of the most famous Roman Catholic churches in Bucharest.
The paintings depict angels, Italian parish saints, but also churches in Italy. In the middle of the niche there is an octagonal dome, composed of stained glass.
The church was consecrated by Archbishop Raymund Netzhammer, on July 2, 1916. Canons and priests, benefactors and believers were present then, together with the Ambassador of the Kingdom of Italy in Bucharest, Baron Fasciotti.
The parish had as its first parish priest Fr. Antonio Mantica, followed by Fr. Clemente Gatti, Fr. rector Francesco Molinari, Msgr. Vittorio Blasutti, Fr. rector Lazarin Belizarie, Fr. rector Colombo Graziano, PS Cornel Damian and currently Fr. Daniel Bulai. Among other priests he served at the Italian Church Fer. Anton Durcovici.
A special element is the clock without tongues, decorated with astronomical elements, which is located on the bell tower. This is the only clock in Bucharest on which Roman numerals are inscribed, but also the hours of the afternoon inscribed with Arabic numerals.